Saturday, March 13, 2010

More from West 89th Street

And we continue the apartment tour with my area. Our apartment is a Classic 6 Pre War unit, complete with a living room, dinning room, 2 bedrooms, kitchen and maids quarters. Seeing that we have 4 people living here, we've converted the dinning room and maids quarters into bedrooms. I love a good spacial challenge, so I took the quaint 7 x 10 foot maids quarters.

The path to my room is a bit of a corn maze. After walking through the foyer and making a sharp right turn, you end up in what I think of as the 'butlers pantry.' There are huge 8 foot cabinets and the shell of an old dumb waiter. My room is small and I needed to be clever and intentional with this precious space. So I moved a craigslist dresser and all of my shoes into the spot.



I spy shoe storage...


I do like shoes.

I also like bright shiny paint.



Above is the craigslist dresser, a thrift store mirror painted lacquer yellow and a Target lamp.

Now. Lets head to my room.



Most of my room is occupied by my bed, so I've gravitated towards textured layers of white for bedding. The air in New York is dirty and sooty so I bleach often. Fun fun. The bedskirt was a DIY project I crafted with hot glue, hem tape and kelly green Imperial Trellis fabric from Calico Corners. The installation above my bed is a mix of black and white photographs, scrap book paper, tea cup saucers, some of the same yellow paint from above and an Urban Outfitters clock. The faux headboard was a canvas I found in a pile of give away stuff recovered with Ikea fabric.



I went back and forth on posting a picture of my closet. Then I thought, I'd want to see inside a random New York Closet. So here it is. It, like the rest of my room, is tiny. Good thing I like organization and minimalism. All the clothing I own, aside from like 6 bridesmaids dresses that are living out their days of glory in Dallas, are in this apartment. Forces me to keep my wardrobe fresh, tidy and current!



Oh, how I love matchstick blinds. My mom helped me with this curtain! The plaid is from an upholstery store in the Lower East Side and the top print is from Ikea.


I've talked about this desk before, haven't I? I found it walking home with friends one night. It's actually a small set of drawers that were missing the drawers. I know its cheapo birch wood, but the size and shape were perfect for the space I had. After a thorough windexing and crafting of a curtain with a tension rod, I had a functional desk!

There you have it. My apartment! It's not forever, but it's sure a lovely right now.

1 comment:

  1. ohsolovely indeed! and a perfect reflection of your personality and creativity my friend. love it!

    ReplyDelete